The Importance of Habits - A 30-Day Fitness Journal: Week 4
Justin Roethlingshoefer is CaniBrands’ Healthy Lifestyle Ambassador and is the Founder of OWN IT, a global company that maximizes the human experience and potential for executives, CEOs, and high performing people around the world. Previously, Justin has worked with the Anaheim Ducks, Edmonton Oilers, Columbus Blue Jackets, Hockey Canada, University of Louisville, and Miami University. He is also author of three Amazon bestselling books: Intent: 1-A Practical Approach to Applied Sport Science for Athletic Development, 2-Blueprint: The Science of Building Ultimate Human Performance and 3-OWN IT: How To Break Through Barriers and Master Your Health, Wealth and Relationships. He is also the founder of The Hockey Summit, an all inclusive camp for NHL players in Florida to prepare them for the upcoming season. The techniques and philosophies used in the book are the same that he utilizes with the players on a day-to-day basis.
Welcome to the final week of the 30-day challenge! If you saw my first blog post, you’ll know that this four-week fitness journal is about illustrating the impact of consistency and lifestyle on results. After purposely gaining 15 pounds, I took the opportunity to test the effectiveness of the OWN IT system, my personal coaching practice focused on creating lifelong, substantial change based on long-term habit formation.
I always tell my clients that consistency PAYS OFF! For those who think fitness is about genetics, think again. It’s habits and consistency...NOT PERFECTION. Results will show when working from a system that allows flexibility but comes from a sound framework. Over the month of June, my partner Alyse and I traveled back from Florida to NYC, drove from NYC to Buffalo, celebrated my birthday weekend, continued our date nights every Thursday, and attended eight other social distancing social events.
So many of us follow the traditional workout and nutrition advice that has been passed down from trainer to trainer and magazine to magazine over the past 40 years and we wonder why we are tired, lethargic, or downright unmotivated by the results. Being able to use science-based, data-driven results allows us to change our routines or adjust on a day-to-day basis and see changes quickly.
What are the three keys to creating unbreakable habits of steel? (I posted about this on my Instagram if you want to check it out): These habits must
- come from the heart (they are yours),
- allow for quick wins,
- make you accountable.
This is the secret...and it is simple...however not easy. That is why having a system combined with a group of like-minded people and a trusted advisor leading the way is so important. You, being the committed warrior is simply not enough. A committed warrior is easily lost when darkness falls but simply needs some light shed on the path.
The reason I bring this up is that the Own It system allowed us to see results without missing out or having to spend hours working out.
These were the results:
- 187.2 lbs.
- 231.75 total body inches
- 12.3% body fat
- 11.3 strain average
- 77% recovery average
- 67% sleep average
- 185.7 lbs.
- 228.1 total body inches
- 11.4% body fat
- 10.1 strain average
- 81% recovery average
- 77% sleep average
- 181.8 lbs.
- 225.1 total body inches
- 8.9% body fat
- 12.0 strain average
- 82% recovery average
- 74% sleep average
You will notice the weight loss and body fat loss, but one of the MAJOR improvements was energy gain. Even with the rise in physical exertion and drop in sleep time, there was a huge rise in recovery.
The best part about the system is that it isn’t overwhelming:
- 4 workouts per week with the Own It community (no longer than 45 minutes)
- 3 aerobic workouts per week under 20 minutes each
- 3 days of yoga or a core workout per week (maximum 20 minutes from the Own It app)
- 5-minute meditation daily
- CaniBrands CBD daily in the morning, midday, and night
- The Own It PRO JUICE in the morning
- I must have wine 2 nights per week.
- I must have a “treat” 3 days per week.
- Own It prescribed meal portions and plan (eat what I want)
All data is tracked on the Whoop app for:
If you take a look at the monthly summaries from May to June vs. June to July you will see these major differences:
- May sleep needed vs sleep obtained was 8:36 vs 7:12 and restorative sleep 2:03 vs 1:23.
- May strain average is 9.7 for a total of 25 activities with an average duration of 44 minutes vs June sleep needed vs sleep obtained 8:51 vs. 7:41 and restorative sleep 2:11 vs. 1:59.
- June strain average was 12.7 for a total of 30 activities with an average duration of 41 minutes.
- May average recovery was 62% with 11 green days, 18 yellow days, and 2 red days vs June average recovery of 71% with 12 green days, 17 yellow days, and 2 red days.
- May average heart rate variability (HRV) was 102 vs June average HRV of 104.
- May average resting heart rate was 45 vs June average resting heart rate of 43.
- May average sleep score was 83% vs June average sleep score of 82%.
It is amazing what the routine will do for you and what the system creates. The workout time was less, but the strain was higher by 3.6 strain points, which is VERY significant. The recovery was increased by 9% which is again VERY significant with around the similar amount of total sleep time. That means you can work harder, feel better, have more energy, and accomplish your goals faster without losing out on valuable time. The “not enough time” excuse goes out the window.
The recovery numbers are so telling. HRV and resting heart rate have been known to give the whole story. And we can see here that HRV on average went up and resting heart rate went down. These are both massive signs of recovery.
YOU CAN DO THIS AS WELL.